Beginning work on the fenders (Defender D90)

I’ve decided I don’t like the plastic fenders which are molded onto the shell so off they come. As I’m using a Vaterra Ascender chasse the wheels are hitting the shell creating a horrible plastic noise when turning (the RC4WD D90 shell is designed for a SCX10 chassis so the wheels don’t align perfectly).

I’ve managed to acquire some rubber fenders, came in a set of 4. Here is a link where I brought them. Took about a week to arrive but I am very happy with them.

2015-10-06 21.14.41

Being rubber they look much more realistic, whilst I will be cutting the wheel arches bigger granting more room for the tyre, I still expect some binding but the rubber should flex more easily than the plastic.

2015-10-06 21.14.14

I’ve gone and cut the fender off the first wheel and increased the arching allowing the wheel to fit more in centre, it’s defiantly an improvement. If you’re wondering what tools I used….

2015-10-06 21.14.08

Yep that’s a jigsaw blade clamped into a clamp plier, worked perfectly. I would recommend using clamp pliers as you don’t have to waste energy trying to hold the blade.

2015-10-06 21.47.22

So let’s see how the rubber fender looks, to me that looks a lot better. There is a notch in the rubber so it slides onto the shell. I am only holding it with my fingers but I will be using tire glue to hold it on once I have resprayed the shell.

2015-10-06 21.48.19

I’ve decided I like the look of the fender starting slightly back, it also gives the wheel slight more room when turning which is a plus. Now let’s do the other 3 which will have to wait for another day as its getting late.

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Next ArticleNew Weights, Foams and Stamped Beadlocked Rims (Defender D90)